Saturday, December 10, 2011

Interesting People

Yesterday was a Friday. Our homeschooling group went to a nursing home to play some Christmas music for the elderly. There was an old man named Frank who was turning 101 in January. He would clap after every song and say, "Bravo! Bravo!" It was so cute! I remembered him from last year, and he hasn't aged at all. Thank you, Frank, for the simple encouraging words you cheered for us. Even when we messed up, you encouraged us to play again and keep spreading the joy. I think you touched our hearts more than we touched yours. :)

We were in the car on the way to the grocery store afterwards, when a school bus pulled up next to us. I waved at a bored looking girl. She gave me a dirty look and looked away. lol, cheer up, girl. I was just trying to be friendly, not mean. I would have totally waved back and try to start a conversation. Ah, but everyone reacts differently.

When we were at the grocery store, I found some cool dog toys and started squeaking them. All of a sudden, a guy walked past me and dropped his name tag. I picked it up and didn't know what to do. I shouted out, "Steve!" He turned around in surprise, "How'd you know my name?" lol. Very fun.

I was walking by the frozen food section and saw that all of the lights were off. I burst into a run to turn on all of the lights. How much fun! Am I too childish? Or just the perfect amount of childish? Never lose the simple joy of imagination and creativity. I think it pleases the Father.

Ah, I love to people watch. It may be strange, but honestly, with over 6.8 billion people in the world, how could you not wonder about the many stories each person has to offer. Wow. Each person exists for a reason. Frank taught me the lesson of one simple word of encouragement to a stranger can brighten up their life. Random school bus girl taught me to accept a random smile and not to judge others quickly. Steve taught me that funny stories don't always need a moral. :)

God bless you all during the Christmas season. Be nice to strangers and don't forget to smile back!

-Alycia

No comments:

Post a Comment